Friday, November 20, 2009

Irish Dance Solo Dress Progress: Finished panels and Puffball Skirt

Here it is: the final sprint! Yesterday I finished all of the panels. Want to see the result?

"Water" Irish Dance Solo Dress - Finished Royal Blue Skirt Panels (Front and Back)

I satin stitched the edges of the blue panels in silver thread. I had to go around twice and I found out it worked much better when I used tear-away stabilizer, but I as I hadn't originally planned to use it, I had to use many small scrap pieces to achieve my goal. But it looks and feels awesome (and so professionally made).

"Water" Irish Dance Solo Dress - Finished Silver Skirt Panels

When I cut my silver panel, I gave them a 1 cm seam allowance, planning to bag-line them and then satin stitch around the edges. But once I had lined them and turned them over, I decided they were fine the way they were. So no satin stitched edge for now, but if I ever change my mind, I can add it later. The important thing now is to finish the dress!

In the picture, I fanned my nine panels out to look like my original concept, a peacock's tail (but the colours definitely make it a "Water" dress).

Today this is what I have done so far:

"Water" Irish Dance Solo Dress - Turquoise Puffball Skirt

Puffball skirts are quite easy to make: simply gather a full circle skirt into a 3/3 circle lining. You should make your skirt longer than your desired finished length (in this case it is 8 cm longer) and your lining shorter by the same amount.

Also, for this particular puffball skirt, as Liquid Lamé fabrics don't have much hold, I have both used a soft fusing and a layer of tulle to make it puffier and hold it's shape.

"Water" Irish Dance Solo Dress - Bodice and Puffball Skirt

I wanted to get an idea of what the finished dress will look like. I can't wait to be done. Not only because I need sleep, but also because I've work really hard (I mean REALLY hard) and no I want to see the finished product.

Wish me luck! I'm not going to bed tonight until all that's left for me to do is hand finish the bodice's lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment