Thursday, October 15, 2009

Costumes in Fashion: First International Islamic Fashion Contest in Kazan

Being a Costumeholic, I sometimes ask questions that may seem awkward to others. For instance, I have asked a few Hidjab wearing girls at school if they wouldn't mind showing me how to tie one on my head. After all, as I stated when I first began this blog, the definition of costume includes "the prevailing fashion in coiffure, jewelry, and apparel of a period, country or class", and I love everything that has to do with costumes. Usually the girls I've asked have been nice, but didn't really want to be bothered. (I'm guessing they have been nagged more than once and don't trust other's intentions - I'm just curious, really!)

All this to introduce today's post.

Look what my Sweetheart found for me: pictures from the First International Islamic Fashion Contest in Kazan! (He reads everyday from many International News Sources including RIA Novosti, where the following pictures come from).

Teal! I don't know about you, but to me, teal and beige have an exotic connotation; it's the sand of the beach and the water of the ocean. (I also love the headdress.)

Great picture! Who else gets a Lawrence of Arabia vibe?

OK, I know it might be a stretch, but I'm sort of reminded of a Vedek Costume here (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - 1993).

I love this one. It seems straight out of a kids' cartoon or movie. It's just so happy and colourful!

Definetly some Padmé - White Battle Costume inspiration here!

I love the originality of this one: the way the crinoline is cut in half and incorporated in the design is very interesting.

See how this one incorporates some of the current trends: balloon skirt, pastel shades and frills. Plus the hat sort of looks like a 15th century hood from this angle.

Every fashion show ends with a wedding gown, and this one is no exception.

Now will someone please accept telling me how to tie a Hidjab?

No comments:

Post a Comment