Monday, October 12, 2009

Movie Monday: Nanny McPhee

Kids movies are so fun and so colourful! I love fantasy movies where the art direction made everything look like a drawing from a child's book. Nanny McPhee (2005) was on tele this week-end and I had never seen it, so I watched it with my Sweetheart and Daughter (I'm trying to show her from a young age to like costumes - we watched The Duchess (2008) when she was three months old and I was telling her the names of the clothes we saw - Robe à la Française, Watteau Pleat, etc.).

Thankfully, my Nanny was not like that. And hopefully, this movie will not give my Daughter any ideas (other than colourful old styled dresses)!

Now, about my favorite costumes:

Thomas Sangster as Simon Brown and Eliza Bennett as Tora Brown, Nanny McPhee (2005)

I love the red and blue dress; it simply is a mix of colours I love. Depending on the light, it sometimes looks purple, and I love this sort of trompe l'oeil effect achieved with colour and fabric texture.

Holly Gibbs as Christianna Brown, Samuel Honywood as Sebastian Brown, Raphaël Coleman as Eric Brown, Jennifer Rae Daykin as Lily Brown, Eliza Bennett as Tora Brown, Hebe Barnes/Zinnia Barnes as Baby Agatha Brown, Thomas Sangster as Simon Brown and Emma Thompson as Nanny McPhee, Nanny McPhee (2005)

The wedding scene between Mr. Brown and Mrs. Quickly has to be my favorite, colour wise: the mixture of toxic green and hot pink is just perfect to show how much bad taste the new stepmother-to-be has, especially paired with those yellow hair. And the poor kids, all dressed up like dolls! It's OK for the girls, but how one pities the boys! (And the lambs, who have been dyed green and pink.)

Emma Thompson and Celia Imrie as Mrs. Quickly, Nanny McPhee (2005)

And yet, the colour mix is growing on me. I feel inspired. How about an 18th Century Dress? Or a Bustle Gown? Wait, I know, an Irish Dance Dress, with satin and sequins. Oh, the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment