Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Kanzashi!

Look what I got in the mail:


It's an add for some local optometrist, but that's not the point. Do you see it yet? I was so excited when I spotted it.


The girl is wearing modern Kanzashi! Didn't I tell you costumes could be found everywhere if you kept an eye out for them?

What do you mean you don't know what Kanzashi are? Must I educate you on everything?

Maiko conversing near the Golden Temple in Kyoto, Japan

Kanzashi are Japanese silk flower hair ornament, usually worn with traditional hair styles. Nowadays, we see them mostly on Maiko, Brides and young girls.

Kanzashi by Maya

One of these days, I hope to be able to afford a set to go with my Kakeshita. Maya is my favorite on-line store for traditional Kanzashi, but these don't come cheap: the set pictured above costs over 145$ CAD. I've bought Kimono and Obi for less!

Today, it is possible to buy smaller, modern Kanzashi for less. Some are even made by Japanese lovers of the Western World.

Modern Kanzashi by Puchi Maiko

You can even learn to make your own, using silk or leftover fabric.

A Kanzashi by Gwenyver; Yellow and Teal Dupioni Silk, Red Sequin

You can find many Kanzashi tutorials on-line, either the instructions and photos type or the video type. Because I care so much, I've found a nice video to initiate you to this craft:

Enjoy crafting your own. (And then you can wear yours everyday and be a happy Costumeholic!)

No comments:

Post a Comment