Sunday, August 9, 2009

Camouflage - The Exhibition: From Battlefield to Catwalk

I consider myself to be against war (except for Pennsic War of course). Our parents taught us to talk problems out instead of using violence, so it is incredible to me that nations can't do the same. Due to that, I've never much appreciated the Camouflage print and refused to wear it whenever it was in fashion. Until I read a very interesting article about it in La Presse. (Thank you J. for sharing the link with me.)

Apparently, it was developed by a french artist during the First World War, and throughout the 20th century, it's meaning evolved, from War (first half of the 20th century) to Anti-War (Vietnam War) to Art (with Andy Warhol) and High Fashion (with Yves Saint Laurent in the 70's, Jean-Paul Gauthier and Jean-Charles de Castelbajac in the years 2000).

Now why would La Presse write about the history of the Camouflage print, you might wonder? Well my dear friends, because there is currently an exhibition on the subject at the Canadian War Museum called Camouflage - The Exhibition: From Battlefield to Catwalk. (Catwalks produce some very interesting costumes!)

Chiffon Gown and Gloves, Jean Paul Gaultier, Spring/Summer 2000 Couture Collection. Photo by Martin Chamberland, La Presse.

Shoe - Philip Treacy for Gina Couture 2003, Inspired by Andy Warhol Lithography. Photo by Martin Chamberland, La Presse.

(I can't resist shoes.)

Now I really want to go to the Canadian War Museum to see this exhibition. I mean, how often is an exhibition dedicated to a fabric print? And I bet you when I come back, I'll feel like making a crazy Camouflage dress myself. Could be interesting!

Camouflage - The Exhibition: From Battlefield to Catwalk will run until January 3, 2010 for those of you interested in going.

No comments:

Post a Comment