Monday, December 14, 2009

Movie Monday: Avatar

Have you heard of James Cameron's Avatar (2009)? It's coming out on Friday, December 18, and even without knowing the story, you know it's going to be a hit with costumers in the years to come. I mean, come on, blue skinned creatures with pointed ears and tails? I'll bet you'll see at least one at the next Dragon*Con.


Of course, there are also the 22nd Century Marine Uniforms.

As for the story itself, I'd say it is highly inspired by what happened when Europeans colonized America: you have this one group who want to exploit the Earth's resources with barely any regards for the native population whom they regard as primitive. Except this time, the "civilized" men are humans, the primitive ones are 3 metres high blue creatures called the Na'vi, and the "Earth" is a place called Pandora in Alpha Centauri. But as we all know, history repeats itself, so why not in the future? (Why not? Aren't we supposed to be getting smart enough as a race to learn from our mistakes? Ayeh!)

OK, you can come out of hiding now, I'm done moralizing! Back to this Blog's subject, costumes: I would love to see someone make a Na'vi costume out of foam latex. Then I could pester them for information on how to make it myself.

OK, I admit it; I have been watching the LOTR Making-of again.

No comments:

Post a Comment