Monday, October 8, 2012

Movie Monday: The Phantom of the Opera

Since I spend currently spend most of my days doing very little, nursing my new baby, I am watching a lot of tele and catching up on movies and TV series I've been meaning to watch for years.

For the longest time, when I said I had not yet seen The Phantom of the Opera (2004), people gasped. How come I had not yet seen it? It is such a great movie! And with all those costumes, one would assume I had seen it! Well critique me no more, I have finally watched and loved it.

My favourite scene has to be the "Masquerade" ball.

 

The song is enticing, the many costumes are beautiful, and Christine's pink dress for that scene has a lovely shaped train.


Simplicity had issued a pattern for that dress. It is now out of print, but you can find it on eBay or Etsy.


Simplicity 4479

I can't remember if I have that pattern in my collection (probably), but I would like to make a Steampunk ballgown using it, though my dress would probably not be pink.

I also like Carlotta's costumes; they are always so over the top, just like the Diva herself.

Minnie Driver as Carlotta, Hannibal Opera, The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
 

Minnie Driver as Carlotta, Il Muto Opera, The Phantom of the Opera (2004)

Now I think I'll go watch that movie again; I can't get the music out of y head.

Costumes designed by Alexandra Byrne, who also designed for Elizabeth (1998), Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007), Thor (2011) and The Avengers (2012), among many.

5 comments:

  1. I love that musical, but more of the setting, music and costumes rather than the story. Coincidentally our theatre is putting on a production of it next year, and I'm auditioning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then good luck getting the part you want!

      Delete
  2. I think one of my favorite outfits on this movie is the white, lacy ballgown Christine wore when she sang for her first performance. That dress was gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I recently discovered your blog and as a stage costume student I think what you do is wonderful. I don't know if you will continue posting since your last post is from a few years ago, but this post interests me a lot. I have looked for the patterns but being out of print I can't find them anywhere. They are sold out on etsy and ebay, and those patterns are not sold by Amazon to Spain. Do you know of any other place where they can sell it?
    Thank you very much and continue with the blog because it is great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you appreciate my blog. I haven't written in it in some time, it is true.

      Finding out of print patterns is tough. There are Facebook groups that might help, otherwise it is Etsy and Ebay I'm afraid.

      Delete