Thursday, December 10, 2009

Getting in the Olympics Spirit Early

Only 64 days left before the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Are you getting in the Olympics mood? I'm not much of an athlete, nor am I very active (except when it comes to dancing), but I do love the Olympics Celebrations.

For a costumer, what is there not to like about, say, the opening ceremonies? Remember the last winter Olympics, in Torino, IT? The Placard Holders wore
Moschino dresses made to look like snowy mountain tops, complete with pine trees and lit-up village! I still can't figure how to make that one.

Miss Italia, Edelfa Chiara Masciotta, carrying the Placard for team Italy, 2006 Winter Olympics, Torino, Italy

I can't wait to see what Canada will have come up with.

In the mean time, to get into the Olympics Spirit, I got up at 6 AM this morning to go see the Olympic Torch Relay in Bois-des-Filion, QC (it was scheduled for 7:30, bu you know, one needs to get ready, shovel the driveway - thanks Sweetheart - and plan for traffic).

Gwenyver and Daughter with the First of the Bois-des-Filion Torchbearers (sorry, I don't have his name) December 10, 2009

I did participate in Coca-Cola's Torchbearer contest last winter. I would have loved to do it. It's not so much the honour which first motivated me (well, lets face it, the honour would have been awesome and I would have been grateful to get the chance to do it) as the Uniform. What? It's me we're talking about.

Torchbearer Uniform

These uniforms were designed by the Hudson's Bay Company. According to the Vancouver 2010 Website, "the 2010 Olympic Torchbearer uniform has been designed with Canadian winters in mind". Really? Up-close, I thought it was just a light nylon suit that could be worn over warm clothes - kind of like our mothers making us wear our snow suits under our Halloween costumes when we were kids - but I could be wrong (it was very windy and chilly and my focus was on keeping my Baby warm, which is why I closed my coat over her and added a blanket).

The Website further informs us that "the Olympic Torchbearer uniform highlights the Sea to Sky palette — the blue and green hues seen around Vancouver in the winter months". Ah, blue and green: that's why I subconsciously wanted to wear that uniform.

Finally, we also get a detailed description of the uniforms:

"The uniform consists of several pieces items, including a jacket, pullover pants, toque and mittens. As is the recent tradition, the uniform is mainly white, symbolizing a message of peace and hope. Colour accents decorate the left arm of the uniform, along with reflective elements for safety during operations in little or no light. The uniform prominently features the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Torch Relay emblem as well as the universally recognizable Olympic Rings."

Paralympic Torchbearer Uniform

And for the Paralympic Torchbearer Uniforms?

"The torchbearer uniform for the Paralympic Torch Relay consists of several pieces, including a jacket, pullover pants, toque and red mittens. Designed and manufactured by the Hudson’s Bay Company, the 2010 Paralympic Torchbearer uniform is blue to represent ice and accented with bright bursts of blue and green on the jacket’s left arm. Silver reflective elements, including “Vancouver 2010” on the right jacket sleeve and right back pant leg, have been added for prominence and visibility.

The uniform features the Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Torch Relay emblem on the chest as well as the
Agitos on the back. From the Latin word for “I move,” the Agitos are the Paralympic symbol and are composed of three elements (red, blue and green) representing the International Paralympic Committee’s role in bringing athletes from all corners of the world together to compete.

The uniform has been designed with the comfort and safety of the torchbearers in mind and makes a beautiful commemorative keepsake.
"


Torchbearers, this Costumeholic is behind you 100%! Enjoy your run and your time with the Flame; I mean think about it, it has come all the way from Greece! That's just incredible. Mostly, be happy that "The design team from the Hudson’s Bay Company, in collaboration with VANOC, managed to find an ideal balance of function and fashion that will have the Olympic Torchbearers moving comfortably and looking great".

1 comment:

  1. I saw the flame too yesterday with my friend, on Côte-des-Neiges !

    I missed it on Tuesday in La Prairie :( but yesterday, we got out of a shopping tour of the Renaud-Bray, and there were lots of police and cheering kids.... somedbody said "It's the flame!".

    I got all excited and wanted to see it. The school kids were soooooo cute, and at one moment they got tired cheering, but suddenly I saw the flame coming, which they had not seen, and I looked at them and said: "Elle arrive !!!!"

    Loads of fun :D

    ReplyDelete