Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Disney's The Princess and the Frog

The Disney Princesses: every little girl's dream! I myself was once dressed as a five years old, beach blond Snow White for Halloween. (I have to scan some pictures for you eventually.)

This Friday, a new princess comes into our lives: Princess Tiana. Now little girls of visible African ancestry can have their own princess too!

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I have nothing against having a dark skinned princess, it's just that the first version of The Princess and the Frog (2009) I ever heard of was by a kid's TV show called Iniminimagimo (1987), and the story was set in China. But as it turns out, The Frog Prince was one of the Brothers Grimm's stories, so I guess it can be interpreted any way one wants.


Tiana wears two princess dresses in the movie. First, she has what I believe to be her Debutante Ball Dress.

Princess Tiana

It is very pretty, but I have to admit, I was a little disappointed at first because I thought this was going to be her official Disney Princess Dress (they all have one) and this shade of blue looks a lot like Cinderella's. Since this is the story of a frog, why not green? No other Disney Princess wears green as her official colour.

But I was of little faith!

Disney's Princess Tiana

Now that's more like it! Not only is it green, it is clearly inspired by a water lily. They really took the frog theme to heart.

I wonder how many little Tianas will be trick-or-treating on my street next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment