Monday, November 19, 2012

Movie Monday: Hairspray

Some days, you just need an fun easy movie to enjoy. I have found mine: Hairspray (2007). It had been on my "must watch list" for awhile but I finally got to it now that I am home full time.

The story is sweet and somewhat refreshing as the main character is an overweight teenager who's dream is to dance on a local television show, and get this, her dream does come true, quite early on in the movie. She also makes friends with the "coloured people" in 1960's segregated Baltimore, and embraces their cause.

Happy musicals always come with colourful costumes; yeah for me! Here are some of my favourites:

Amber Von Tussle (Brittany Snow) dressed for school in a white dress with blue floral details, complete with petticoat and cardigan

The girls where their best dresses for the Miss Hairspray Pageant on the Corny Collins Show

Michelle Pfeiffer as Velma Von Tussle, James Marsden as Corny Collins and Taylor Park as Little Inez, Miss Hairspray Pageant

I really love Michelle Pfeiffer's dress in this scene. I don't remember seeing such a sequined fabric before, but I will keep my eye out for it.


John Travolta as Edna Turnblad and Nikki Blonsky as Tracy Turnblad, dancing in the streets in their new sparkly dresses

My absolute favourite dress of the movie is John Travolta's pink sparkly dress (wow, I never thought I would say that in my life!). One of these days, I will make it. I don't know when, because I have too many projects as it is, but one day, I will wear pink sequins!

Costumes designed by Rita Ryack, who also designed the wonderful costumes of How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000).

No comments:

Post a Comment