Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Wednesday Weekly Wishlist: Anne's Green Gown (The Other Boleyn Girl)

I love green. Not as much as Teal, but close enough. For SCA events, I mostly wear 12th to 14th century garb, but one day, I would like to make the jump and make a 16th century outfit, to match my Sweetheart's look.

Imagine my excitement last year whe I first saw the Trailer for The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)!


My first thought? I want those dresses! If I had to pick only one, and that would be hard, I would go for the Anne's Green Gown.

Scarlett Johansson as Mary Boleyn, Eric Bana as Henry Tudor and Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn, The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)

Now I know what you are thinking: What? None of the Teal blue for Gwenyver? Who are you and what have you done with our favorite Costumeholic? It's not that the teal ones aren't gorgeous (or that I don't want them too!), but the Green Gown just struck me. It is so rich and beautiful, and it reminds me of the English Folk song "Greensleeves", long believed to have been written by Henry VIII for Anne Boleyn.

Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn, The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)

In a few words, this costume is a green satin tudor style dress with a square, almost off-the-shoulder neckline, wide green velvet oversleeves, bejeweled velvet band at the neckline, and green floral brocade undersleeves and underskirt. The costume also includes a matching green satin French Hood.

Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn, The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)

To achieve the right silhouette, that is, the hourglass silhouette of Tudor times, one would also need the right underpinnings. That means a square neckline chemise, a corps piqué, or stays, , and most importantly, a Spanish farthingale.

Eric Bana as Henry Tudor and Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn, The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)

Pattern wise, Simplicity has got me covered with pattern #2589. Sure it need to be adapted a little, especially where the undersleeves are concerned, but if I wait a little, I can snatch it for 1.99$ CAD on sale at my local Fabricville, so it is not worth the paper it would take me to develop the pattern myself.

As for the initial pendant, I'm already covered! I have my "G" pendant already made and test-worn. I just wonder where to find the floral brocade. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment