Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wednesday Weekly Wishlist: Mina's Red Bustle Gown

Right now I have Bustle Gowns on my mind. It must be from watching Say Yes To The Dress; it makes me think I want a Bustle Gown as a wedding dress (when my princess/bride day comes - *Hint Sweetheart*). As Bustle Gowns go, it is my opinion that the most impressive one is Mina's Red Bustle Gown from Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992).

Mina's Red Bustle Gown

Seriously, I think I'm pretty good at figuring out how any garment is made just by looking at it, but this dress puzzles me. It is no longer sewing or draping, it is architecture and art (this is probably why I love Bustle Gowns so much - finally a challenge!). I am especially impressed by the way Costume Designer Eiko Ishioka arrived at this asymmetrical waterfall of fabric to the side of the dress.

Winona Ryder as Mina Murray, Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

I think this is one dress many costumers dream of recreating. Some of the best reproductions I know of include Tracie L. Arnold's from Past & Present Creations (although technically, she is a costume seamstress and seller and not a costumer per se) and Traci's from Crimson Vision.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll make it in white (as, say, a wedding dress maybe?)

No comments:

Post a Comment