Sunday, August 2, 2009

Reminiscing: Montréal Highland Games 2006

It was back in 2006 that I last went to the Montréal Highland Games (in 2007 I was in Pennsic and in 2008, I was supposed to go but morning sickness kept me home until noon and by then, everyone was soaked and had left). It is not a costuming event per se, but my local SCA branch, the Barony of l'Île du Dragon Dormant, is often invited to go and setup a demonstration, so I had gone with them and I had sat on the ground to embroider, I had watched the fighters, I had tried to answer questions from curious onlookers and I had gotten a really bad sunburn because I had forgotten my sunscreen. Mostly it was an excuse to finish and wear my Scottish Lady's Outfit (OK, I know it really is a 15th century Black Irish Dress and a Léine* worn with a Scottish Arisaid**, but I didn't know better at the time and I was basing my outfit on Simplicity Pattern 3623, using McCall's 4091 for the Léine).

*Léine: Irish Shirt/Tunic
**Arisaid: Scottish Women's Cloak

Two Scottish Ladies: Mebh of Orkney (Nancy-Raven) and Mórag Filia Scayth (me)

Some of the Scottish musicians marching in to the field and passing our setup

Some of our fencers demonstrating their martial art

P.S.: My heart goes out to all the ones who went today and were drenched in the pouring rains. My Lord Conrad, please be mindful and take care of that Flu!

No comments:

Post a Comment