Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Retro Capelet

Today was my first day of maternity leave (I'm due in two weeks). I was all alone at home and I have been itching to get some sewing done, but right now, I can't really get into any serious costuming projects because there is no way I can do any fittings on myself. I am huge, my feet and hands are swollen (stupid pregnancy oedema) and I generally feel uncomfortable in my own skin. Nonetheless, I still sat down to sew, which makes me happy.

Back in January, I had cut myself a retro capelet, and I had started to sew it, but then I set it aside for some reason. Until today. The idea for the project as well as the general pattern came from the Threadbanger video tutorial "DIY Retro Cape".

 
I did not however, follow the sewing instructions; my own capelet is completely bag lined, and the collar is sandwiched between the fashion fabric and the lining. Fashion school training!

 Beige Houndstooth Retro Capelet

The fashion fabric was found in the fabric swatches bin at Fabricville, but the lining was cut from an old fitted sheet I had kept after a corner was torn and we had to replace it (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!). It is really soft! The button I bought specifically for this project because I wanted a big red button for it.

Closure detail - Bold red button

I would love to take a picture of me wearing it, but it does not close over my belly. But at least it is finished, and I can wear it once it gets cool in October (and once my waistline goes back to normal!).

No comments:

Post a Comment