Friday, August 24, 2012

18th Century Gryffindor Concept

I love Harry Potter. I love the books, the whole world imagined by J.K Rowling, and of course, the movies. Back in spring, I finally got to join Pottermore. Since I love to know trivia facts behind stuff I love, I find the concept to be great! As any other fan, I couldn't wait to get sorted; as I told you earlier this week, I already have a Hogwarts uniform, but it is Ravenclaw. Imagine my surprise when I was sorted into Gryffindor this time! I have never thought of myself as brave, a quality I associate with that house, and I am more of a book worm, but if the sorting hat choose that house for me now, it must be for a reason. Trust the hat!

This of course means I need a new uniform. Am I going to make a second screen accurate uniform to match my new house? Why would I when I can go a creative with a completely different type of uniform!

This idea is inspired by Lis' own Hufflepuff Steampunk Uniform: when she was sorted into Hufflepuff on Pottermore, she decided to go Steampunk instead of screen accurate.

After considering making a medieval uniform (after all, Hogwarts was founded around the 9th or 10th century), but in the end, the design I came up with is 18th century, inspired by this trio of Alchemists.

18th century Gryffindor Student concept

The concept is for a black polonaise, with a grey compère front and matching grey petticoat with ruffles. The dress is trimmed in burgundy red and gold, the household's colours and there is a Gryffindor patch on the left hand side of the bodice. For modesty's sake, students are required to wear a white scarf. Following the current trend, the witch's hat is a small tricorne worn atop the hairdo.

I don't know when I will get to this costume, but I felt it was time for me to sketch it out. So what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. That's adorable! I love the idea & hope you do make it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness don't let my girls see this or I'll have to make 2! (Not that I'd mind, really Great idea!)

    ReplyDelete