Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wicked Witch

So Halloween is just around the corner, a meer three weeks away, and if you haven't begun planning costumes yet, it is about time you start. Now some of you may know this already, but for those who don't I will repeat it again: Halloween, or Samhain, is the Witch's New Year. So naturally, a witch costume would be a great costume choice.

If you are looking for a more sophisticated witch outfit, I suggest you turn your attention to
Wicked - The untold story of the Witches of Oz.


The costumes are simply devine, as shown here in this Threadbanger interview with Tony Award Winning Costume Designer Susan Hilferty, the creator of these marvels. (Watch and drool.)

Should you wish to recreate your own Elphaba costume, you can follow this nifty Threadbanger tutorial.

One of the best Elphaba costume recreation I have seen was made by Laurie of Threads of my Life. Just look at this amazing picture:

Laurie as Elphaba from Wicked

Much time and effort went into the making of this costume. Do check out more of her pictures here.

And if by any chance you think you recognize Laurie from this blog, you are right! She was in the theatre troup that I was Costume Designer for a few years ago (before I became a mom, which is the best but sucks away all free time).

Laurie as Damoiselle Mathilde D'Aubray de Castellar, Le Tzigane au Croissant d'or, 2008

I like to imagnie I inspired her a little. She really has a lot of talent and patience when it comes to costuming and I can't wait to see what she will come up with next.

Back to the main subject, has anyone else made a Wicked Witch costume? I wonder if I have enough scraps in my stash and time to make this in 3 weeks... Probably not (time wise), but this costume does get its place on my wish list!

No comments:

Post a Comment