Saturday, September 10, 2011

Did you say TARDIS?

Any Doctor Who fan out there will of course know what the TARDIS is, but for those of you who do not know what it is, it is the Doctor's ship. The name stands for "Time And Relative Dimension In Space", and it looks like this:

The TARDIS

Yes, it is a 1960s style London police box, and that is sort of the joke. Anyways, I have recently discovered that many Doctor Who fans like to cosplay as the TARDIS.

Tardis Costume

And not just as a regular police box; many of them are very original in their interpretation. Just you look:

Steampunk TARDIS Bustle dress by Courtney Stoker

The Doctor and his Tardis, found on EPBOT

TARDIS Ballroom Dress by Kelldar

TARDIS Corset

Dalek and the TARDIS

A trio of TARDIS

TARDIS Hostess

TARDIS Costume from EPBOT

Short Sleeved TARDIS dress

TARDIS' day out

Shoulderless TARDIS dress

Corseted TARDIS dress

Otakon 2011 Tardis costume

Tardis cosplay by Kistaa, picture by Kium

All these creative interpretations have given me an idea: there should be a group for all of these costumers (of which I hope to be a member soon - I have my own design idea), just like the Let them eat cake group for people who make sweets inspired 18th century outfits. I was actually discussing this with the instigator of this group, who is also a Doctor Who fan, and she loves the idea.

Edit: The Doctor's Wives it is! Please join us over on Facebook - The Doctor's Wives.

2 comments:

  1. I think the Doctor's Wives would be an awesome choice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I should have incorporated sunglasses into my "TARDIS' Day Out" costume, it was a bright day!

    ReplyDelete