Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Costumes on the Red Carpet: 82nd Academy Awards®

As you all know, Sunday night was my favourite award show of the year, the Oscars®. (If you didn't know, where the heck have you been living?) Oscar Night® is to me what the Super Bowl is to most men: I sit down in front of the tele with snacks to watch all of the pre-pre-pre show shows.

The awards are nice, some of the speeches are interesting, the hosts are funny, but really, what we want to see is the dresses! I've picked out a few to present here. Of course, you all know by now that if I show something here, it's because it caught my eye, and really, that is their purpose: ugly or not, the stars want you to remember them.

Here are the categories for this year's Costumeholic Oscar Red Carpet Dresses:

Blush

There is a trend going on in the fashion world for Nude tones and Blush pinks. Personally I look washed out in such colours (maybe if I left my basement once in a while instead of writing this blog - kidding!), but sun kissed skinned stars seem to wear them beautifully.

Anna Kendrickon on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

As beautiful as any Olympian Goddess!

Demi Moore on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

It's the return of the Mommy! Okay, I'm just being silly, but really, that was my first thought when I saw that bandaged looking bodice. Love the skirt though!

Pleats Please!

No, these are not Issey Miyake dresses, but they are covered in pleats and ruching. The dresses from the previous category could also have been included here.

Kristen Stewart on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

I thought it ironic that the star of Twilight would wear black: embracing our inner vampire, are we?

Mariah Carey on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

Who else is seeing a blue clad Jessica Rabbit here? Raise your hand, anyone?

Penelope Cruz on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

Have you ever noticed that every year at the Oscars, Penelope Cruz is always one of the best dressed? How does she do it? Never a faux pas!

Sigourney Weaver on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

Sigourney Weaver is the ultimate Goddess in this one shoulder dress. She should not only join Anna Kendrickon on Mount Olympus, she should sit on the throne!

Silver and Gold

If Oscar gets to be clad only in gold, why couldn't the stars wear metallic tones too?

Cameron Diaz on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

Have I ever mention I love Oscar de la Renta gowns? They are always of plain good taste, and this one is no exception.

Helen Mirren on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

This star truly must have fell from Heaven dressed like this!

Sandra Bullock on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

Dressed in this gold gown, Sandra Bullock was bound to win her Oscar!

Why not?

Remember what I said about ugly or not? Some stars choose to go with stranger styles to get our attention.

Nicole Richie on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

Why, oh why would Nicole Richie who is blessed by such a beautiful body, still tiny even after two pregnancies (let's hope it is not due to anorexia) would cover herself up in a caftan? Even a sequined caftan! She sort of looks like a slithering snake covered in brilliant scales. Or like she's living it up in the 70's.

Rachel McAdams on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

This dress is not actually ugly, far from it. I'm not a fan of prints for evening or formal wear, but I also know floral is very much in fashion right now (so I should just go with it). The reason I put it here is that I was instantly reminded of this Wishlist dress when I saw it (making it a costume in my twisted mind):

Moon Coloured Dress, Peau d'Âne, Les Plus Beaux Contes de Perrault, Lito-Paris Editions, Illustrations by Monique Gorde

Do you see it too or is it just me?

Structural

Another Fashion trend seen on this Red Carpet was architectural gowns. From small details to all over structures, there were examples to please everyone.

Charlize Theron on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

Here is one way to bring attention to your bust: cover your boobs with huge flowers!

Kate Winslet on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

This dress may look simple at first, but look closely at the detail on the bodice, around hip level: a modern day Barbarella!

Zoe Saldana on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

Oh frills! She's carrying a coral reef on her dress hem! Not my cup of tea, but I admire the work required to achieve such an effect.

Jennifer Lopez on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

I had never imagined putting a bustled train to the side front of a dress, but why not? Clearly, the result is beautiful!

Vera Farmiga on the Red Carpet of the 82nd Academy Awards®

Now that makes a statement! All over pleated frills! I wonder if it is comfortable to sit in?

One of these years, I'd like to organize an Oscar Night® party where everyone has to shows up in evening wear. It would be a great excuse to wear my prom dresses again (or to make something new - muahaha). Anyone I know interested? Of course, that's only while I await my turn to be nominated for Best Costume Design! (One can dream...)

No comments:

Post a Comment