Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Costumes for Otakuthon 2010

Last night, the dates for this year's Otakuthon, Montréal's Anime Convention, were announced: August 13 - 15, 2010. The event will once again be held at the Palais des Congrès de Montréal. I've been bugging Nancy-Raven about cosplay ideas for Otakuthon for over a week, so I am quite happy to now have a date to work with.

Since
Nancy-Raven needs a break, I thought I'd brainstorm a little with my other readers. I have ideas from three different Anime/Manga.

1.
Le Chevalier d'Eon (Shuvarie)

Le Chevalier d'Eon by Tow Ubukata

I'm not especially familiar with this Anime/Manga, but I fell in love with the costumes after seeing Kadajo's fanart of Le Chevalier Sphinx.

Le Chevalier Sphinx, Fanart by Kadajo

There is a good number of costumes to choose from, so both Nancy-Raven and I could pick one we like. I also think we should try to get her cousin to join us because he has the fine traits and the long blond ponytail that d'Eon has.

The story is inspired by that of Charles-Geneviève-Louis-Auguste-André-Timothée d'Éon de Beaumont (1728 - 1810), known as the Chevalier d'Éon, who was a notable cross-dresser. It is set in Versailles (France) during the reign of Louis XV. This means Pannier dresses. Not only can I do that with my eyes closed, but I love this style. As a bonus, I could (in theory) also wear my costume at the Fêtes de la Nouvelle-France (which I plan to attend this year too).

On the downside, I don't know what I would make for my Daughter with this theme. She'll be about a year and a half by then, and I bet she'll be running around, but I can't imagine putting her in a big fancy dress yet.

2. The Three Musketeers (Anime san jushi)

This Anime used to play on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. I think it would be fun to make because everyone who sees us will be transported back to their childhood. Also, I have never made a 17th century costume and I am long overdue for one. Once again, there are many choices. If Nancy-Raven decides to join me, I suggested to her that we could go as Queen Anne of Austria and her handmaiden Constance Bonacieux (I would like to cosplay as Constance; I already have the right hair colour and besides, Nancy-Raven is taller than me).

Queen Anne and Constance, The Three Musketeers (1987)

If I go alone with my Daughter, I would choose to cosplay as Milady de Winter instead. I look good in red and I've always wanted an excuse to wear forest green hair.

Milady de Winter, The Three Musketeers (1987)

My Daughter could the cosplay as Pepe, the little monkey.

Milady and Pepe, The Three Musketeers (1987)

Sure she wouldn't fit on my shoulder, but I think it would be cute. I just wonder how I could make her a Galea (Roman helmet)...

3. Cardcaptor Sakura (Kādokyaputā Sakura)

Of course, I could also stick to the idea I had last year: I could go as Sakura and my Daughter could be Kero. This way at least, I know she would be comfortable.

Kinomoto Sakura and Kero, Cardcaptor Sakura

I'm not quite sure how to make Sakura's staff, but I'm sure I can find out. The biggest problem with a Sakura costume is actually choosing the costume. She has so many!

So now you know what was going through my head while my cold kept me awake half the night (every night) last week. As always, I love to get your input. Right now, I'm not sure which one to choose from. Part of my decision will be based on whether or not Nancy-Raven decides to join my Daughter and I for a group costume. (No pressure hon!)

As Andy and Randy Pig (Miss Piggy's dimwitted young nephews) would say, "This job's too hard!".

No comments:

Post a Comment